Disposable water bottles can be very convenient—but that convenience comes at a high cost. Not only can plastic bottles contain harmful chemicals like BPA that damage your health, they also have a highly negative impact on the environment.
This infographic from Printwand.com breaks down some important facts and statistics related to plastic water bottle production and consumption. Here are a few of the highlights.
- It takes 17 million barrels of oil to create one year’s worth of bottled water.
- The water bottling process releases 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere annually.
- Each year, 38 billion water bottles end up in U.S. landfills.
- Plastic waste washes into the ocean and kills 1.1 million marine creatures each year.
- Bottled water is tested for microbes and other pollutants 4 times less than tap water.
The good news is that reusable water bottles (like those available on this page) are a safer, more eco-friendly alternative. If you’re having trouble deciding which type of bottle to go with, this infographic also illustrates the pros and cons of each category.